What Happens if I Refuse to Plead in a Nevada Criminal Case?
A Las Vegas Criminal Defense Lawyer Explains

handcuffed male criminal defendant in court with female attorney and male judge

Refusal to plead is a plea of “not guilty” in Nevada (NRS 174.035)

If you are charged with a crime in Nevada, there are four pleas you can enter:

The court must consent before you can plead nolo contendere. The judge also has the right to refuse to accept a plea of guilty or guilty but mentally ill.1

If you refuse to plead, the court will enter a plea of "not guilty" on your behalf.2

The judge will also enter a plea of not guilty if he or she refuses to accept a plea of guilty or guilty but mentally ill, or if a defendant corporation fails to appear.

Accused of a crime in Las Vegas or Reno? Call us for help…

If you or someone you know has been charged with a crime, we invite you to contact our Reno and Las Vegas, Nevada criminal defense lawyers for a free consultation.

Our caring criminal attorneys have decades of experience defending against Nevada criminal charges from DUI to domestic violence, assault and murder.

To discuss your case with one of our Nevada criminal lawyers, call us at 702-DEFENSE (702-333-3673) or complete the form on this page.

To learn about pleas in California criminal cases, contact our California criminal defense lawyers.

Legal references:

  1. NRS 174.035 (1).
  2. NRS 174.035 (6).



Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Our defense attorneys understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to zealously and discreetly protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California, Nevada, and Colorado. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370