Buying a gun illegally in Colorado
Section 18-12-111 of the Colorado Revised Statutes is Colorado's law against unlawful gun purchases. 18-12-111 C.R.S (1) provides:
Any person who knowingly purchases or otherwise obtains a firearm on behalf of or for transfer to a person who the transferor knows or reasonably should know is ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to federal or state law commits a class 4 felony.
Consequences of illegally buying a gun in Colorado
Penalties for unlawful purchase of a gun can include:
- 2-6 years in prison (with 3 years mandatory parole),
- Forfeiture of your weapon, and/or
- A fine of $2,000-$500,000.
18-12-111 C.R.S also requires licensed firearm dealers to post a sign displaying the above information in a manner that is easily readable and visible to the public. Failure to do so is a Colorado class 2 petty offense which can be punished by a fine of $250.
Who is prohibited from buying a firearm in Colorado?
You may not legally possess a gun in Colorado if you:
- Are subject to a protective order that prohibits possession of a firearm;
- Are a fugitive from justice;
- Are addicted to, or an unlawful user of, a controlled substance;
- Have been committed to any mental institution or adjudicated a “mental defective” under U.S. law;
- Are in the United States illegally or unlawfully;
- Are in the United States under a non-immigrant visa;
- Have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces;
- Have renounced U.S. citizenship; or
- Have been convicted of, or are under indictment for (under federal law or the laws of any state):
- a felony,
- any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year,
- an attempt to commit a felony,
- an act which would constitute a felony if committed in Colorado, or
- a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Call us for help…
If you or someone you know has been accused of illegal buying a firearm or another violation of Colorado's gun laws, we invite you contact us for a free consultation.
Our caring Colorado criminal defense lawyers have a great deal of experience defending clients on weapon offenses.
To schedule a telephone or in-person consultation, fill out the confidential form on this page. Or call us at our Denver home office:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
1400 16th Street
16 Market Square
Denver CO 80202