Is reckless driving a crime in Colorado?
Reckless driving is a Colorado class 2 traffic misdemeanor. You commit the crime of reckless driving -- Colorado Revised Statues 42-4-1401, C.R.S. -- when:
- you drive a motor vehicle, bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or low-power scooter,
- in such a manner as to indicate either a wanton or a willful disregard for the safety of persons or property.1
Penalties for Colorado reckless driving
The penalty for a first reckless driving offense is:
- A fine of $150-$300, and/or
- 10 days-90 days in county jail.2
Penalties for a second or subsequent conviction for reckless driving include:
- a fine of $50-$1,000, and/or
- 10 days-6 months in county jail.3
Additional consequences of a reckless driving conviction in Colorado
In addition a fine and/or jail time, consequences of reckless driving can include:
- payment of restitution to the alleged victim,4
- community or useful public service5, and
- 8 points on your Colorado DMV driving record (unless you drove a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle).6
Defenses to Colorado reckless driving
The best defense to your reckless driving arrest in Colorado depends on the facts of your case. But some common defenses include:
- You weren't the driver (the "no driving" defense).
- You weren't driving unsafely.
- You engaged in careless driving, not reckless driving.
- You were distracted by something that urgently required your attention (another driver, something on the floor, etc.)
Call us for help...
Reckless driving is a crime, with potentially serious consequences. Like all the best Colorado criminal defense attorneys, however, we know that there are ways to defend the charges and keep you out of jail.
If you or someone you know has been arrested for reckless driving under Colorado 42-4-1401, C.R.S., we invite you to call our caring Colorado criminal defense lawyers for a free consultation.
We defend clients throughout the state of Colorado and in our convenient Denver office:
Colorado Legal Defense Group
1400 16th Street
16 Market Square
Denver CO 80202
- 42-4-1401 (1), C.R.S.
- 42-4-1701 (3)(II)(A), C.R.S.
- 42-4-1401 (2), C.R.S.
- 42-4-1701 (3)(II)(B), C.R.S. See also 16-18.5-107, C.R.S.
- 42-4-1701 (3)(II)(B), C.R.S.
- 42-4-1401 (2), C.R.S. See also 42-2-127, C.R.S.