Denver, CO 80202
Charged with a crime in Denver?
Our experienced Denver criminal defense attorneys handle all types of felonies, misdemeanors and infractions -- from Colorado DUI and DWAI to bail and release at the Denver County Jail or Downtown Detention Center.
Expert Denver DUI and criminal defense
At the Colorado Legal Defense Group, we believe the best Denver criminal defense lawyers combine passion with compassion. Contact us for a free consultation and find out why Denver defense lawyer Michael Becker is a top:
- Denver assault and battery lawyer
- Denver auto theft lawyer
- Denver burglary lawyer
- Denver domestic violence lawyer
- Denver drug lawyer
- Denver DUI lawyer
- Denver gang crimes lawyer
- Denver juvenile crimes lawyer
- Denver parole and probation violation lawyer
- Denver robbery lawyer
- Denver sex crimes lawyer
- Denver theft crimes lawyer
We can also help you with:
- bail and release at Denver jails,
- protecting your Colorado driver's license,
- restoring your Colorado gun rights, and
- many other Denver criminal law matters.
The Denver arrest process
Denver law enforcement is provided primarily by the Denver Sheriff Department.
Sometimes, an officer who arrests you will simply issue you a citation or ticket to appear in court.
Otherwise, you will be taken into custody and brought to either the Denver County Jail or the newer Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center (Denver downtown detention center).
The Denver County Jail is located at:
10500 E. Smith Road
Denver, CO 80239
The Van Cise-Simonet (Downtown) Detention Center can be found at:
490 W. Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80204
The new facility is named after Philip Van Cise, a district attorney who prosecuted organized crime and the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s, and John Simonet, a former Denver corrections director.
To locate someone in custody in a Denver jail, use the Denver Sheriff Department inmate search.
Denver bail procedure
Bail is based on the seriousness of the charged offense and, in some cases, your financial situation.
If you are taken into custody, there are four ways to get released:
- Personal recognizance (also known as an “O.R.” release) – no financial security is required. You are released based on your reputation after an interview with the court.
- Cash bail – this requires payment of the entire bail amount. The money is returned once you show up for your court appearance.
- Surety bond – you pay a percentage of your bail to a bail agent, who guarantees the full amount to the court should you fail to appear. Bail agents generally charge 15% of your bail amount (non-refundable), with a $50 minimum. For larger bail amounts ($5,000 or more) bail may be as little as 10%, but will require a co-signer.
- Property bond – a lien is placed on property you own to ensure payment of the full bail amount should you fail to appear.
It generally takes between 2 and 8 hours to complete the bail and release process in Denver.
Denver criminal court
Criminal hearings take place either at the Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center or at the Lindsey Flanigan Courthouse, located at 520 W. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80239. There are a number of parking lots close to the courthouse with daily fees ranging from $4-$12. In addition, a number of RTD bus routes have stops close to the courthouse.
Contact us for a free consultation
If you have been arrested in Denver and are looking for a top Denver criminal lawyer or Denver DUI / DWAI attorney, we invite you to call us for a free consultation.
Our caring Denver defense attorneys have decades of experience defending our clients' rights. Call us at 720-955-6112 or use the form on this page to reach us. We'll get back to you quickly to review your case and discuss the best defenses to your Denver criminal charges.