Teenager Arrested for Possessing Assault Rifle at Las Vegas School

Posted by Neil Shouse | Dec 26, 2012 | 0 Comments

Last week an 18-year-old was arrested when police discovered a semiautomatic rifle in his car, which was parked at the Northwest Career and Technical Academy. He faces charges for the Nevada crime of possessing a dangerous weapon on school property. Reportedly, police also found ammunition in the car.

The Nevada crime of of possessing a dangerous weapon on school property prohibits not only guns from being on campus but also dirks, daggers, switchblades, trefoils, nunachakus, metal knuckles, blackjacks, and billy clubs. Furthermore, this law applies not only to schools but also to child care facilities. Police officers and security guards may legally possess weapons at schools.

The Nevada crime of possessing a dangerous weapon on school property is a gross misdemeanor. Penalties include up to one year in jail and/or up to $2,000 in fines. The only firearms that need to be registered in Nevada are handguns.

For more information go to:

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California and Nevada. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

Regain peace of mind...

Our defense attorneys understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to zealously and discreetly protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370