The Highest Form of Murder

Posted by Neil Shouse | Sep 14, 2012 | 0 Comments

Whenever someone gets charged with murder, one of the first questions people ask is “Will the D.A. seek the death penalty?”

Prosecutors do have a great deal of discretion as to when to seek capital punishment. But they can't do it in every homicide case. They can only do it when there are “special circumstances” in California murder cases.

Special circumstances refer to what society adjudges to be the most serious, aggravated or heinous types of killings. Examples would include murdering a prosecutor or judge in retaliation for their work, or murder by torture of lying in wait for the victim.

Penal Code 190.2 contains the specific list of types of killings for which the prosecutor may charge special circumstances.

If the jury at trial finds special circumstances to exist, it elevates the types of punishment the defendant may receive: either the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole (sometimes called “LWOP”).

About the Author

Neil Shouse

Southern California DUI Defense attorney Neil Shouse graduated with honors from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School (and completed additional graduate studies at MIT).


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free attorney consultations...

Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial.

Regain peace of mind...

Our defense attorneys understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to zealously and discreetly protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.

Office Locations

Shouse Law Group has multiple locations all across California and Nevada. Click Office Locations to find out which office is right for you.

To contact us, please select your state:

Call us 24/7 (855) 396-0370